Are Shih Tzus good with kids? This is a question that many families considering adding a Shih Tzu to their household may ask. I say, yes! Shih Tzus make great family dogs!
There are many reasons why Shih Tzus are great with kids, but I will talk about 7 reasons why Shih Tzus make the perfect family dog.
If you are on the fence about whether or not a Shih Tzu is the right dog for your family, read on to learn more about why they make such great pets!
1. Shih Tzus are Gentle and Loving Creatures
The first reason why Shih Tzus make great family dogs is because they are gentle and loving creatures. Shih Tzus are known for their affectionate nature, and they love nothing more than cuddling up with their favorite people.
This makes them great companions for kids, who will always have a furry friend to snuggle with.
Shih Tzus are also known for being patient, meaning they will put up with a lot of hugs and kisses from even the youngest family members.
2. They are Small Enough to Be Comfortable in a Home with Kids
Another reason why Shih Tzus make great family dogs is because they are small enough to be comfortable in a home with kids. Shih Tzus typically weigh between 9 and 16 pounds, making them one of the smaller breeds of dogs.
This means that they will not take up too much space in your home, and they will be able to comfortably maneuver around your furniture and belongings.
This is important because you want your Shih Tzu to be able to move around freely without knocking over things or getting in the way.
3. Shih Tzus Love to Play
Shih Tzus love to play, and this makes them great family dogs because they can keep up with even the most active kids. Shih Tzus are known for their playful nature, and they love nothing more than chasing a ball or playing fetch.
This means that your Shih Tzu will be able to entertain your kids for hours on end, and they will never get bored when playing with their furry friend.
4. Shih Tzus are Easy to Train
Shih Tzus are also relatively easy to train, which is another reason why they make great family dogs. Shih Tzus are very intelligent dogs, and they excel at obedience training.
This means that you will be able to teach your Shih Tzu basic commands such as sit, stay, come, and down.
Shih Tzus are also quick learners, so if you want to teach your Shih Tzu tricks or more advanced obedience commands, they will be able to learn them fairly easily.
5. Shih Tzus are Low Maintenance Dogs
They are also hypoallergenic, which means that they are a good choice for families with allergies.
6. They are Therapeutic
Shih Tzus are known to have a calming effect and they are great at reducing stress. This makes them perfect for families with children who have anxiety or autism.
Studies have shown that pet dogs could help reduce childhood anxiety, particularly social and separation anxiety.
Shih Tzus can provide emotional support and help kids feel more relaxed and calmer.
7. They are Loyal
Shih Tzus are incredibly loyal dogs, and they will quickly become a member of the family. Shih Tzus form strong bonds with their owners, and they will do everything they can to please you.
This loyalty extends to your kids as well, and your Shih Tzu will quickly develop a bond with them as well.
Shih Tzus will always be there for your kids, and they will provide them with love and companionship for years to come.
Safety Interaction Tips
If you have kids and are thinking about getting a Shih Tzu, there are some things you should keep in mind to make sure the interaction is safe and enjoyable for both your kids and your new dog.
Here are a few tips:
- Always supervise your kids when they are interacting with your Shih Tzu. This is important because Shih Tzus are small dogs, and kids can be rough and unintentionally hurt them.
- Teach your kids how to properly pet a dog. This includes letting the dog smell their hand before they pet them and petting them under the chin instead of on top of the head.
- Be cautious when introducing your Shih Tzu to small children. Shih Tzus are known for being gentle and loving, but at the end of the day, they are still an animal, and some Shih Tzus may not be used to being around small kids. It is important to introduce them slowly and make sure the interaction is positive.
- Never leave your Shih Tzu and kids alone together unsupervised. Even the most well-behaved Shih Tzu may inadvertently hurt a small child if they are left alone together.
By following these tips, you can make sure that your Shih Tzu and kids have a safe and enjoyable interaction.
As you can see, Shih Tzus make great family dogs. Shih Tzus can provide your kids with plenty of entertainment, and they will form a strong bond with your whole family.
Just make sure to supervise your kids when they are interacting with your Shih Tzu and teach them how to properly pet and handle a dog.
With a little bit of care and precaution, your Shih Tzu will quickly become a cherished member of the family.